Tankless Water Heaters
Traditional water heaters use a tank to heat and store water until it’s ready for use. Tankless water heaters are a newer technology that allows you to
have hot water on demand, without storing water anywhere. These tankless water heaters have many advantages, including energy efficiency and safety, but they are not the right choice for everyone.
If you’re considering upgrading to a tankless water heater, R & R Heating & Air can help. We can advise you about your options and help you decide whether going tank-free is the best choice for your needs. We can also install, maintain and repair tankless water heater systems.
How Does a Tankless Water Heater Work
A standard water heater collects water in a tank, where heat is applied. This system has a few disadvantages:
- Water pressure can build, causing the risk of explosions or burst valves.
- If not kept to the right temperature, the water can harbor bacteria and other microbes.
- A finite amount of water can be heated and stored at a time.
- The tank can leak or burst, flooding your home or garage.
Tankless water heaters eliminate most of these problems. In a tankless system, water is heated as it is used, so there is no water stored when not in use.
Pros and Cons of Tankless Water Heaters
Tankless water heaters pose many advantages:
- They use less energy since smaller amounts of water are heated at a time and no energy is wasted on water that will not be used.
- You never run out of hot water while showering, washing dishes, doing laundry etc.
However, there are also a few drawbacks to tankless systems:
- They are significantly more expensive than traditional water heaters, so many people find them cost-prohibitive.
- Because you never run out of hot water, many people end up using substantially more water than they otherwise would, eliminating the energy savings.
However, if you are careful with your water usage, a tankless water heater will pay for itself within five years thanks to the reduced energy costs.
Albuquerque Water Heater Upgrades & Maintenance
R & R Heating & Air handles repairs, maintenance and installation of all kinds of residential water heaters.
If you’re thinking of upgrading but aren’t sure whether a tankless water heater is right for you, give us a call. We’ll be happy to provide an on-site estimate and discuss your options to help you decide. If you choose to stay with a traditional tank-based system, we can also help you upgrade to a newer, more efficient model.